Thursday, November 21, 2013

Running The Race


If you've never trained for a half marathon, 5K, 10K, or anything of that nature, I highly encourage it. I have never been much of a runner but my roommates challenged me training for a half marathon. At first I thought no way, but now I am all in. It is super easy to Google and find a training plan. All you need to do is type into the search box "half marathon training in (amount of weeks you have until the race.)"
Training is hard mentally and physically but the feeling of accomplishment is so worth it. Every Sunday I have my long runs which get longer every week, and every week I run farther than I ever have before. Not only does it boost my confidence but it also taught me how to really take care of my body and listen to what my body needs.  I want to eat better to fuel my body better. I make myself drink more water. And I also take my rest days very seriously because your body needs that time to recuperate. 
There are so many lessons in training: discipline, accountability, motivation, and the list goes on. 
And I know it's hard to think of fun and run in the same sentence but here are things to look forward to during your training:
        - although training can be kind of expensive depending on how much registration for your race costs and how much you need equipment to run but looking for and buying work out clothes and running shoes is not only fun but very motivating.  I personally wear Nike running shoes I've had for a while but I'm debating on getting new shoes for the race.  My workout clothes include leggings and shorts (Nike, BCG, Old Navy brand, and  RBX.)  And I usually just wear a t-shirt but I plan on rewarding myself with more "cute" workout clothes after I reach my goal. (It's a good enough excuse for me)
        - seeing yourself improve is a major key to motivation. When you run longer distances and achieve your goals, you are encouraged and I guarantee your clothes will start fitting looser if you're eating right and following the workout plan. 
        - running is a serious stress reliever. Your brain goes numb, you release extra energy and hormones that leave you in a better mood. 

Here is an example of a weekly workout plan. This is also the one I am going by. When training make sure to do the cross train days witch should include weight training to keep your muscles in good shape. Don't overload yourself on running. 

Don't forget to do some research on how to take care of your body during this intense training!
Check out my latest two posts at Oh Life for some of the lessons I've learned during this challenging but very rewarding time of preparation. 

Trust me it's all worth it in the "long run!"

Karsyn Penelope

No comments:

Post a Comment